'de Joffers' Suggestions
PERFECT WALKING AND CYCLING TRIPS
Take your bike or put on your walking boots and enjoy Limburg’s varied and beautiful countryside!
- All the Delicious Things of this Region Routes!
- The Rose and- Asparagus Route
- The Blueberry Hill- and Strawberry Route
Cycle among the sweet smelling fields of roses, taste fresh blueberries or strawberries, enjoy a cold locally brewed Hertog Jan beer on one of the lovely al fresco terraces along the river Maas. There are plenty of wonderful cycle routes that lead you through all the wonders of this region.
- Another favourite of ours is The Maashopper Route.
This is a beautiful cycling route that leads you along the banks of the river Maas. At various points you can get on or off this beautiful boat, de Maashopper, bike included! You can pick up your route at any time and continue along the riverbanks, through picturesque Maas villages with medieval castles, its village greens and beautiful rose gardens. A welcoming lunch break can be enjoyed on one of the many al fresco terraces, meanwhile watching the boats go by...
- Historic- and Cultural Routes - the Art Route, the Castles and Convent Route and the Poetry Route.
Unwind, relax and refresh your senses...
Spend a day in the healing Thermal Baths and Beauty Spa in the picturesque village of Arcen. After a full day's relaxation at this beautiful spa, it's wonderful to come 'home' to the crackling open fire or simply enjoy a glass of wine in The Joffers' garden!
White Gold Weeks in Asparagus Land
From April until late june
The Joffers' House is a perfect base from which to discover Limburg's Asparagus Land. The Dutch Tourist Board has especially organised 12 walking and cycling routes that take you along asparagus fields where you can see the farmers at work, digging for this delicious 'White Gold.'
Don’t forget to try one of the local restaurants that celebrate this vegetable by offering a vast selection of delicious asparagus dishes.
- 'White Gold Route’ (34 km): you will visit the lovely village, Arcen where you can taste the asparagus liquor. You will also pass by the Asparagus Museum, 'de Locht' in Melderslo.
- ‘The Diggers Route’ (39 km): this route leads you along country roads- and lanes, to the beautiful open park of Geijsteren, the banks of the river Maas in the National Park, 'The Maasduinen'.
- the Asparagus Festival in Grubbenvorst (Easter Monday),
- The Asparagus 4 day Cycling Festival, Arcen.
'LA VIE EN ROSE'
The Joffers' House is situated in the heart of the Dutch Rose Culture! This makes our holiday house a perfect base from which to explore and discover all aspects of the 'Queen of all flowers', The Rose!
During this time of the year 1001 different kind of roses are blooming- each with its individual fragrance and colour. The sight of about 25 million blooming rose plants creates the illusion of a magnificent coloured 'patch-work' blanket that covers, during this time of the year, acres of North-Limburg's Rose-land- a truly magnificent sight!
It's also wonderful to rent a bike and follow one of the beautiful routes that lead you through these spectacular rose fields. The 'Rose-route' is a must! It takes you along idyllic country lanes, picturesque rose-villages and beautiful castles and monasteries.
In the largest Rosarium in the Netherlands (Lottum), you can choose that rose that suits you! Another wonderful stop is the Gardens of Arcen's Castle: a beautiful medieval castle that is situated in a 32 hectare large estate. Here you can fall in love all over again! More than 500 different roses decorate this beautiful Rosarium.